Obtaining Access to AHCRBMS Buildings
There are several items that need to be completed prior to being granted building access. If your U Card is not yet working, be sure that all of the requirements have been completed.
- Application for Building Access: A form completed by the individual needing building access. They will need their U Card to complete this step.
- U Card Verification: Access applicants will need to bring their U Card to one of our information desks to have the information verified by one of our staff members after completing the Application for Building Access.
- Trainings: Available through the DEHS website, these trainings are required by both Homeland Security and the Department of Environmental Health Safety for access to the lab areas of Nils Hasselmo Hall, Molecular and Cellular Biology building, McGuire Translational Research Facility, Masonic Cancer Research Building and Wallin Medical Biosciences Building. These require an x500. If you don’t have one, please acquire the guest login from an information desk. The specific trainings are:
- Radiation Safety Orientation
- Preventing Employee Exposure to Bloodborne and Other Pathogens
- Access Approval Form: To be completed by the PI, manager, director1 or designated approver2. Here, they will designate the level of access the applicant will have once all requirements have been completed.
- If Someone No Longer Needs Access: If someone no longer needs access to the building(s), please send an email to email@example.com as soon as possible. We will deactivate their U Card. If the person has keys, please make sure they are returned to the information desk.
For access to the lab areas of NHH, MCB, MTRF, MCRB and WMBB, you will need the following:
For access to all parts of 717 Delaware, Jackson Hall and Lions Research Building, the office areas of NHH, MCB, MTRF, MCRB and WMBB, the RAR areas of WMBB only ** and the biology labs of MCB, you will need the following:
**RAR must submit the Access Approval Form for WMBB. Be aware, RAR access to any building other than WMBB must go through RAR. Please visit their website for more information.
Visitor cards are available for checkout at our information desks. A brief form must be completed and some form of valuable collateral must be left. They are to be signed out for no more than 1 business day, unless otherwise noted. These cards are available for the following uses:
- Vendors: In NHH and MCB only and cards must be returned before the vendor has left the building.
- Access to supply cabinets: In NHH, MCB, WMBB and TRF and the cards must be returned immediately after the cabinet has been visited.
- Delivery People: Available at all of our information desks. Should be returned after deliveries have been made.
- People who have lost or forgotten their U Card: Available at all of our information desks. If a U Card is lost, the owner must replace the card at their own expense within 2 days.
- People whose HR paperwork is pending: Available at all of our information desks. Be aware, though, training will need to be taken twice (once as a guest, and once under the correct x500) and two Access Approval Forms will be required (initial without U Card or PeopleSoft information, second once U Card is obtained).
- Short-term visitors (less than 3 weeks): Available at all of our information desks. Person must supply proof of training, if required, using guest login and PI (or approver) must complete the Access Approval Form. PI or approver must include an EFS Account String in the box marked "Any Additional Information".
NOTE: A fine of $25 will be assessed for Visitor Cards that are not returned. Cards checked out for an extended period of time will be deactivated
Long-Term Visitors and Affiliated Staff
Individuals that will be working in any of the AHCRBMS buildings for periods greater than 3 weeks and not on payroll need to have their own U Card for access. These can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- summer interns
- short-term employees
- retired faculty & staff
- visiting professors
- visiting postdocs
Information on department sponsored U Cards and online application can be found at http://www1.umn.edu/ucard/umtc/sponsor.html.
1 Only those PIs or directors with assigned space within the specified AHCRBMS building can submit the Access Approval Form. People whose primary workplace is in other buildings must have a PI or Director in the AHCRBMS building submit the Access Approval Form for them.
2PIs, managers or directors may designate a person to act in their behalf by sending an email with that information to Building Management at firstname.lastname@example.org