DescriptionThe Graduate Minor in Bioethics is designed for University of Minnesota students interested in deepening their knowledge of the ethical issues surrounding health and the life sciences. Students can explore their interests in bioethics while also earning a degree in their home discipline. Created by the Center for Bioethics in cooperation with the Department of Philosophy, the Graduate Minor program is administered by the Center for Bioethics and is open to students in many of the University’s Master’s or Doctoral degree programs.
Some professional degree-seeking students may elect a minor as well. The University’s policy states that MEd, MPH, MBA, MHA, MN, DNP, MOT, MPSE, MDH, MDT, MPS students may be eligible to pursue a minor. To be eligible, the degree program must offer the option to pursue a minor; please consult with your Director of Graduate Studies in your major field to determine if this option is open for you. At this time, students in first-professional programs (JD, MD, PharmD, DVM, DDS, and LLM) are not eligible for minors.
Enrollment in the Graduate Minor in Bioethics is contingent upon approval by the Director of Graduate Studies in Bioethics. Students work with the Director of Graduate Studies to tailor their minor program to their individual needs and interests.
- Doctoral students: a minimum of 14 graduate credits in bioethics: 8 credits of core courses and 6 credits of electives.
- Masters students: a minimum of 8 graduate credits in bioethics: 5 credits of core courses and 3 credits of electives.
- All students must complete BTHX 5010: Bioethics Proseminar.
- All students are also required to complete either BTHX 5300: Foundations of Bioethics OR an ethical theory course from the Philosophy graduate program.
- Philosophy students are expected to have successfully completed at least one course in ethical theory prior to undertaking coursework in the Minor.
- Students may not double count coursework toward both their minor and their degree in their major field.
- Students must include a member of their Graduate Faculty for the Minor in Bioethics on their thesis/capstone committee.
- Electives should be selected in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies in Bioethics. If students wish to take Topics courses as part of their elective curriculum, approval for that particular topic must be granted by the Director of Education. Students have the option to petition that courses other than those listed here will serve as electives for the minor.
How to Apply
- Admission to either a masters or a doctorate degree is required prior to enrollment in the Graduate Minor in Bioethics.
- Fill out the Intent to Enroll form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.There is no specific deadline for applying.
- If you have questions, contact Margie O’Neill at email@example.com.