Bruce R. Blazar, M.D., is a Regents Professor of Pediatrics, and Chief of the Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplantation Program. He has directed preclinical basic and translational immunology and stem cell research and early phase clinical studies for more than 25 years, with particular emphasis in the blood and marrow transplantation immunobiology. Dr. Blazar is the Associate Vice President for Clinical and Translational Science and the Director of the University of Minnesota's Clinical and Translational Science Institute.
- B.S., Biology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY (1972 - 1978)
- M.D., Medicine, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY (1974 - 1978)
- Intern, Resident, Chief Resident, Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (1978 - 1981)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, and Bone Marrow Transplantation, University of Minnesota (1982 - 1984)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Pediatrics, University of Minnesota (1985)
- Instructor, Pediatrics, University of Minnesota (1985 - 1986)
- Assistant Professor, Pediatrics, University of Minnesota (1986 - 1989)
- Associate Professor, Pediatrics, University of Minnesota (1989 - 1995)
- Professor, Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, (1995 - present)
- Associate Director, University of Minnesota, Pediatric Blood and Bone Marrow Transplantation (1994 - 2005)
- Chief, Pediatric Blood and Bone Marrow Transplant New Program, University of Minnesota (2005 - present)
- Regents Professor (2009 - present)
- Member, Microbiology, Immunology and Cancer Biology Program (1989 - present)
- Member, University of Minnesota Center for Immunology (1993 - present)
- Member, University of Minnesota Cancer Center (1994 - present)
- Member, University of Minnesota Stem Cell Institute, (2005 - present)
- Member, Molecular, Cellular, and Development Biology and Genetics Program, (2007 - present)
- BS - cum laude
- Albany Medical College Research Award (1975)
- NIH National Research Service Award (1982 - 1984)
- American Cancer Society Regular Clinical Fellowship Award (1981 - 1983)
- Leukemia Society of America Fellowship Award (1985 & 1987)
- NIH Clinical Investigator Award (1985 & 1990)
- Society for Pediatric Research (elected 1988)
- Joan Soskin Award (Diabetes Res.) American Diabetes Association - Minn. Affiliate (1991)
- Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation Scholar Award (1992 - 1995)
- Member and Chair, NIH P01 and R01 Site Visit Teams (1986 - present)
- NIH reviewer: Immunobiology; Medicine; Surgery and Bioengineering; Transplantation Biology; Experimental Therapeutics-1; Experimental Therapeutics-2 Study Sections
- Member, Immunobiology Study Section (July 1990 - June 1994)
- Member, Experimental Therapeutics-2 Study Section (ad hoc 10/96 - 6/98; full member 1998 - 2002)
- Chair, NIH Cancer Immunopathology and Immunotherapy Study Section, (2003 & 2006)
- Member & co-chair, NCI Intramural Site Visit Teams (2008 - present)
- Member, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Translational Grant study section (2001 - 2007; 2009)
- Member, Food and Drug Administration Biological Response Modifiers Advisory Committee (2001 & 2005); active reserve, Cellular, Tissue and Gene Therapies Committee (2005 - 2009)
- American Society of Clinical Investigation (elected 1996)
- Vice-Chair, New Agents; Vice Chair, Bone Marrow Transplantation: Children’s Cancer Group (1992 - 1997)
- Chair, American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation annual scientific meeting (1996)
- Member, American Society of Hematology Scientific Committee on Transplantation Biology (1997 & 2002; 2004 - 2009)
- MERIT Award, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (1998 - 2008)
- Andersen Chair in Transplantation Immunology (1999 - present)
- Immune Tolerance Network, Member, Scientific Review and Network Steering Committee (2001 - present)
- Association of American Physicians (elected 2002)
- Member, American Transplant Society, Cellular Transplant Committee (ad hoc member 2002 - 2003)
- Member, American Society of Gene Therapy, Immunology Committee (2003 - present)
- Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering (2003 - present)
- Marquis Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare (2003 - present)
- Recipient of the 2005 Distinguished Alumnus Award, Albany Medical College
- NIH Symposium on Translational Immunology as related to Cancer, Co-Chair, Transplantation and Anti-Tumor Therapies (2005)
- NIH Expert Panel Member, Transplantation Research (2005)
- Co-Chair, NHLBI Panel Strategic Planning for Cellular Therapies (2005 - 2006)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society (Theta Chapter), Albany Medical College (elected 2006)
- Board of Scientific Counselors, NCI for Clinical Sciences and Epidemiology, Center for Cancer Research (November 2007 - July 2012)
- Member, Academic Health Center’s Academy for Excellence in Health Research (2007)
- Consulting advisor, NHLBI Working Group, “Enhancing Translational Research and Clinical Trials for Cellular Therapies, including Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (2008)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2008 elected)
- Chair, American Society of Hematology Scientific Committee on Transplantation Biology (2009)
- Chair, NHLBI Working Group: Unanswered Questions in Acute GVHD and Future Directions to Advance the Field (2009)
- California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Stem Cell Therapies and the Immune Response Workshop Speaker/Panel Member (2009)
- California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Grants Working Group Alternate Member (2009 - 2015)
- NCI International Workshop on Relapse after Allogeneic Hematopoieic Stem Cell Transplantation, subcommittee member, graft-versus-tumor/leukemia reaction (2009-present)
- University of Minnesota Regents Professor (UMN's highest faculty honor) (2009)
- Co-Chair, American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting (2012)
- Member, Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences (elected 2012)
- Ernest Beutler Prize and Lectureship, American Society of Hematology (for basic science research contributions to cell therapy; shared with Dr. Carl June for clinical/translation science contributions) (2012)
- Till and McCullough Lecture and Award, Canadian Blood and Marrow Transplant Group (2013)
- Children's Cancer Research Fund (CCRF) Land Grant Chair in Pediatric Oncology (2013-present)
- Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota, Inagural Award for Innovator in Basic Science (2015)
- Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Consortium, Lifetime Achievement Award and Lecture (2015)
- Journal of Immunology
- Journal of Clinical Immunology
- Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation
- Clinical Immunology and Immunopathology
- Faculty of 1000 (Immunomodulation section)
- J. Clin and Translational Science
- Science Translational Medicine
- Journal of Clinical Investigation
- Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy
Visiting Professorships and Lectureships:
- Visiting Professor, MD Anderson Cancer Center (2003)
- Visiting Professor, Johns Hopkins University Medical School (2003)
- James Kuebel Lecture, Washington University, St. Louis, MO (2004)
- Immunology and Cancer Distinguished Lecture, Ohio State University (2004)
- Gilbert B. Forbes Visiting Scholar, University of Rochester (2004)
- Keynote Speaker, Merck, Sharp and Dohme Hematology Master Class, London, England (2004)
- E. Donnell Thomas Lecture, American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (2005)
- Albany Medical College, Distinguished Alumnus Lecture (2005)
- 2nd Annual Robertson Parkman Honorary Lectureship (2007)
- Anne T. Bass Endowed Lecture in Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell; and Visiting Professorship, Stanford University (2008)
- Visiting Professor & Sam Beres Endowed Lectureship, Milwaukee, WI (2009)
- AFLAC Visiting Professor, Emory University (2010)
- Distinguished lecture series, Ohio State Cancer Center (2010)
- Richard O’Reilly Stem Cell Transplant Lectureship, 2014
- Society for Pediatric Research (elected 1988)
- American Society of Clinical Investigation (elected 1996)
- Association of American Physicians (elected 2002)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (elected 2008)
- American Association of Immunologists
- Transplantation Society
- International Society of Experimental Hematology
- American Society of Hematology
- American Association of Cancer Research
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Children's Cancer Study Group
- American Society of Blood and Bone Marrow Transplantation
- American Society of Gene Therapy
- International Society for Stem Cell Research
- Member, Zinc Finger Consortium (appointed)
- Co-Chair, American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting, 2012
- Member, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, CTSA Steering Committee, 2014-2015
- Member, Excellence in Hematology Research Advisory Committee to the NHLBI director, 2014-present
Community and University Service
- American Cancer Society Institutional Grant Review Committee (1986 - 1999; Chair, 1989-1998)
- Member, Pediatrics Tenure Track Committee (Member, 1995 - present; Chair, 1998 -2007)
- Pediatric Research Committee (1995 - 1996; 2000-2003; 2005)
- PRE Foundation Board (1996 - 1998)
- Pediatric Academic Planning Committee (2005)
- Medical Staff and Affiliations Committee, Childrens' Hospital Merger (2006)
- University of Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center: Program Co-Leader, Transplantation Biology Program (2004 & 2007); Executive Committee (2004 - 2008); Search Committee, Cancer Center Director (2004 & 2006); Emerging Core Co-Leader (2007 - 2008); Chair, Internal Advisory Board (2009)
- Medical Staff and Affiliations Committee, Children's Hospital Merger (2006 - present)
- Academic Health Center Ambassador (2007 - present)
- Minnesota Partnership for Biotechnology and Medical Genomics applications, Grant applications review (2007 - present)
- Institute for Therapeutics Discovery and Development, Scientific Advisory Board (2008 - present)
- Research and Scholarly Advisory Panel for the Office of the Vice President for Research (2008 & 2011)
- AHC Task force for Infectious Disease Research Corridor development (2008 - present)
- AHC Task force for Diabetes Research Corridor Development (2008)
- Search Committee for Chair, Department of Internal Medicine (2008)
- Principal Investigator, NIH Clinical and Translational Sciences Award Grant Submission (2008 - present)
- Member, UMN Oversight Committee of the Schulze Diabetes Institute (2009 - present)
- Chief Scientific Advisor, Schulze Diabetes Institute (2009 - present)
- AHC Council of Research Deans (2009 - present)
- Pharmaceutical Commercialization Steering Committee (2009 - present)
- Minnesota Medical Foundation, Cancer Experimental Therapeutics Initiative (CETI) Steering Committee (2009 - present)
- UMN Masonic Cancer Center Internal Advisory Board, Chair (2009 - present)
Publications (selected peer-reviewed papers, 2014 - 2015, from a total of >600 publications)
Sawitzki B, Brunstein C, Meisel C, Schumann, J, Vogt K, Appelt C, Curtsinger JM, Verneris MR, Miller JS, Wagner JE, Blazar BR. Prevention of graft-versus-host disease by adoptive Tregulatory therapy is associated with active repression of peripheral blood toll-like receptor-5 mRNA expression. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 20:173-82, 2014. PMID: 24184334.
Tolar J, McGrath JA, Xia L, Riddle MJ, Lees CJ, Eide C, Keene DR, Liu L, Osborn MJ, Lund TC, Blazar BR, Wagner, JE. Patient-specific naturally gene-reverted induced pluriopotent stem cells in recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa. J Invest Dermatol, 134:1246-54, 2014. PMID: 24317394.
Lin KL, Berginski M, West ML, Fulton LM, Coghill JM, Blazar BR, Bear JE, Serody JS. Intravital imaging of donor allogeneic effector and regulatory T cells with host dendritic cells during GvHD. Blood 123:1604-14, 2014. PMID: 24415540.
Olin MR, Low WC, McKenna DH, Haines SJ, Dahlheimer TR, Nacene DR, Gustafson MP, Dietz AB, Clark HB, Blazar B, Ohlfest JR, Mortel CL. Vaccination with dendritic cells loaded with allogeneic brain tumor cells for recurrent malignant brain tumors induces a CD4+IL17+ response. J. Immunotherapy of Cancer 2:4, 1-11, 2014.
Jacobson, CA, Kim JT, Sun L, McDonough SM, Reynolds CG, Herrera MI, Schowalter M, Koreth J, Cutler CS, Ho VT, Alyea EP, Armand P, Blazar BR, Soiffer RJ, Antin JH, Ritz J, Sarantopoulos S. Potential factors influencing BAFF levels in patients before chronic GVHD development. Biol Blood and Marrow Transplant 20:668-75, 2014.
Kaliyaperumal S, Watkins B, Sharma P, Furlan S, Ramakrishnan S, Giver C, Garcia A, Courtney C, Knight H, Hamby K, Garrett A, Deane T, Storbert E, Jenkins J, Elder E, Eishiavielli N, Crenshaw T, Blazar BR, Waller EK, Wsestmorland S, Kean LS, CD8-predominant T cell meningitis accompanied GVHD in primates and is improved with immunoprophylaxis. Blood (letter to the editor) 123:1967-9, 2014.
Miller JS, Rooney CM, Curtsinger J, McElmurry R, McCullar V, Verneris MR, Lapteva N, Wagner JE, Blazar BR*, Tolar J* (*co-last authors). Expansion and homing of adoptively transferred human natural killer cells in immunodeficient mice varies with product production and in vivo cytokine administration: implications for clinical therapy. Biol Blood and Marrow Transplant 20: 1252-7, 2014. PMID: 24816582 PMCID: PMC4099265.
MacDonald KPA, Le Texier L, Zhang P, Morris H, Kuns RD, Lineburg KE, Leveque L, Don AL, Markey KA, Vuckovic S, Bagger FO, Boyle G, Blazar BR, Hill GR. Modification of T cell responses by stem cell mobilization requires direct signaling of the T cell by G-CSF and IL-10. J. Immunol 192:3180-9, 2014.
Felices M, Lenvik TR, Ankarlo DEM, Foley B, Curtsinger J, Blazar BR, Anderson SK, Miller JS. Functional NK cell repertoires are maintained through IL2R and FasL to enhance survival. J. Imunol 192:3180-9, 2014
Gleason MK, Ross JA, Warlick ED, Lund TC, Verneris MR, Wiernik A, Spellman S, Haagenson MD, Lenvik AJ, Litzow MR, Peling-Burnette, Blazar BR, Weiner LM, Weisdorf DJ, Vallera DA, Miller JS. CD16xCD33 bispecific killer cell engager (BiKE) activates NK cells from MDS patients against primary MDS and MDSC CD33+ targets. Blood 123:3016-26, 2014. PMID: 24652987 PMCID: PMC4014844
Bachanova V, Cooley S, Defor T, Verneris MR, Zhang B, McKenna D, Curtsinger J, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Lewis D, Hippen K, McGlave P, Weisdorf D, Blazar BR, Miller JS. IL-2 Diphteria Toxin fusion protein enhances clearance of acute myeloid leukemia by haploidentical natural killer Cells. Blood (plenary paper) 123:3855-63, 2014
Flynn R, Du J, Veenstra R, Reichenbach DK, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Taylor PA, Freeman GJ, Serody JS, Murphy WJ, Munn DH, Sarantopoulos S, Luznik L, Maillard I, Koreth J, Cutler C, Soiffer RJ, Antin JH, Ritz J, Dubovsky JA, Byrd JC, MacDonald KKP, Hill GR, Blazar BR. Increased Tfollicular helper cells and germinal center B cells are required for chronic GVHD (cGVHD) and bronchiolitis obliterans. Blood 123:3988-98, 2014. PMID: 24820310 PMCID: PMC4064335.
Ding ZC, Lu X, Yu M, Lemos H, Huang L, Mack M, Blazar BR, Mellor AL, Munn DH, Zhou G. Chemotherapy-induced monocytic myeloid cells attenuate antitumor CD4+ T-cell responses via the PD-1/PD-L1 axis. Cancer Research 74:3441-53, 2014. PMID:24780756
Lund TC, Glass TJ, Sadem P, Higgins L, Markowski TW, Wroblewski MS, Lidke DS, Tolar J, Blazar BR. Sdf-1 experssion reveals a source of perivascular-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells 32:2767-79, 2014. PMID: 24905975 PMCID: PMC4165765
Zhang SL, Wang X, Manna S, Zlotoff DA, Bryson JL, Blazar BR, Bhandoola A. Chemokine treatment rescues profound T-lineage progenitor homing defect after bone marrow transplant conditioning in mice. Blood 124: 296-304, 2014. PMID 24876562.
May SL, Zhou Q, Lewellen M, Carter CM, Coffey D, Highfill SL, Bucher CM, Matise I, Morse H, O’Sullivan MG, Schutten M, Johnson C, Bellgrau D, Blazar BR, Modiano JF. NFATc2 and Tob-1 have non-overlapping function in T cell negative regulation and tumorigenesis. PLoS One 9: e100629, 2014. PMID: 24945807 PMCID: PMC4063948.
Murase K, Kim HT, Bascug ORG, Kawano Y, Ryan J, Matsuoka K, Davids MS, Koreth J, Ho VT, Cutler C, Armand P, Alyea EP, Blazar BR, Antin JH, Soiffer RJ, Letai A, Ritz J. Increased mitochondrial apoptotic priming of human regulatory T cells after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Hematologica 99:1499-508, 2014. PMID: 24859877
Singh K, Stempora L, Kirk AD, Larsen CP, Blazar BR, Kean LS. Superiority of Rapamycin over Tacrolimus in preserving non-human primate Treg half-life and phenotype after adoptive transfer. Amer J. Transplant 14:2691-703, 2014.
Herrera A, Kim HT, Bindra B, Alyea EP, Armand P, Cutler CS, Ho VT, Nikiforow S, Ritz J, Blazar BR, Antin JH, Soiffer RJ, Koreth J. A Phase II Study of Proteasome-Inhibition Plus Prednisone for Initial Therapy of Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease. Biol Blood and Marrow Transplant 20:1737-43, 2014. PMID: 25017765
Pai CC, Chen M, Mirsoian A, Grossenbacher SK, Tellez J, Ames E, Sun K, Blazar BR, Murphy WJ, Abedi M. Treatment of Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease and Maintenance of Graft-Versus Tumor Effects with Bortezomib. Blood (epub July 9), 2014. [Commentary: Magenau JM, Reddy P. Proteosome: target for acute and chronic GVHD. Blood 124:1677-88, 2014. PMID: 25009225 PMCID: PMC4155274]
Alexander KA, Flynn R, Lineburg KE, Kuns RD, Janela B, Teal B, Olver SD, Lor M, Raffelt NC, Koyama M, Leveque L, Le Texier L, Melino M, Markey KA, Varelias A, Engwerda CR, Serody JS, Janela B, Ginhoux F, Clouston AD, Blazar BR, Hill GR, MacDonald KPA. CSF-1-Dependent M2 macrophages mediate chronic graft-versus-host disease. J. Clin Invest 124:4266-80, 2014.
Mirsoian A, Bouchlaka MN, Sckisel GD, Chen M, Pai CCS, Maverakis E, Spencer R, Fishbein K, Siddiqui S, Monjazeb AM, Martin B, Maudsley S, Hesdorffer C, Ferrucci L, Longo D, Blazar BR, Wiltrout RH, Taub DD, Murphy WJ. Adiposity induces lethal cytokine Storm after systemic administration of stimulatory immunotherapy regimens in aged Mice. Journal of Experimental Medicine 211:2373-83, 2014.
Pai CC, Hsiao HH, Sun K, Chen M, Hagino T, Tellez J, Mall C, Blazar BR, Monjazeb A, Abedi M, Murphy WJ. Therapeutic benefit of bortezomib on acute GVHD is tissue specific and associated with IL6 levels. Biol Blood and Marrow Transplant Jul 23. Pii:S1083-8791(14)00448-0, 2014. PMID: 25064746
Felicies M, Ankarlo DEM, Lenvik TR, Nelson HR, Blazar BR, Verneris MR, Miller JS. Notch signaling at later stages of natural killer cell development enhances KIR expression and functional maturation. J. Immunol. 193:3344-54, 2014.
Ganguly S, Ross DB, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Blazar BR, Levy RB, Luznik L. Donor CD4+ Foxp3+ regulatory T cells are necessary for posttransplantation cyclophosphamide-mediated protection against GVHD in mice. Blood 124:2131-41, 2014.
Matta BM, Lott J, Mathew LR, Liu Q, Rosborough BR, Blazar BR, Turnquist HR. IL-33 is an unconventional alarmin that stimulates IL-2 secretion by immature murine dendritic cells to selectively expand IL-33R/ST2+ regulatory T cells. J. Immunol 193:4010-20, 2014. PMID: 25217167 PMCID: PMC4185240
Monjazeb AM, Tietze JK, Grossenbacher SK, Hsiao HH, Zamora AE, Mirsoian A, Koehn B, Blazar BR, Weiss JM, Wiltrout RH, Sckisel GD, Murphy WJ. Bystander Activation and Anti-Tumor effects of CD8+ T cells Following Interleukin-2 Based Immunotherapy is Independent of CD4+ T cell Help. Plos One 9:e102709, 2014. PMID: 2511934. PMCID: PMC4131875
Dubovsky JA*, Flynn R*, Du J, Harrington BK, Zhong Y, Yang C, Towns WH, Lehman A, Johnson AJ, Muthusamy N, Devine SM, Jaglowshi S, Serody JS, Murphy WJ, Munn DH, Luznik L, Hill GR, Wong HK, MacDonald KKP, Maillard I, Koreth J, Cutler C, Soiffer RJ, Antin JH, Ritz J, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Byrd JC*, Blazar BR* (*equal co-authors). Ibrutinib treatment ameliorates murine chronic graft-versus-host disease. J. Clin. Invest. 124:4867-76, 2014.
Hechinger AK*, Smith BA*, Flynn R*, Hanke K, McDonald-Hyman C, Taylor PA, Pfeifer D, Hackanson B, Leonhardt F, Prinz G, Dierbach H, Schmimitt-Graff A, Kovarik J, Blazar BR#, Zeiser R#. (*, #equal authors). Therapeutic activity of multiple common gamma chain cytokine inhibition in acute and chronic GvHD. Blood 125:570-80, 2015
Blazar BR, Flynn R, Lee R, Marcucci G, Caliguiri MA, Heeger PS. Strategies to Inhibit Alloantibody (AlloAb) Production in Alloprimed Murine Recipients of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Grafts. Amer. J. Transplant 15:931-4, 2015 [editorial: Ramaswami B, Chalasan G: The end is in sight: Targeting sensitization in hematopoietic cell transplantation. Amer J. Transplant 15:857-8, 2015]
Zanin-Zhorov A, Weiss J, Nyuydzefe M, Chen W, Scher J, Mo R, Depoil D, Rao N, Liu B, Wei J, Lukas S, Koslow M, Roche M, Schueller O, Weiss S, Poyurovsky M, Tonra J, Hippen KL, Blazar BR, Liu CH, Waksal SD. Selective oral ROCK2 inhibitor down-regulates IL-21 and IL-17 secretion in human T cells via STAT3-dependent mechanism. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111:16814-9, 2014. PMID: 2538560
Parmar S, Liu X, Najjar A, Shah N, Yang H, Yvon E, Rezvani K, McNiece I, Zweidler-Mckay, Blazar BR, Shpall EJ. Ex vivo fucosylation enhances regulatory T cell anti-graft-versus-host disease potency in mice. Blood 125:1502-6, 2015. [Inside Blood. Mohty M, Gaugler B. A bit of sweetness for GVHD prevention. Blood 125: 1364-5, 2015].
Li Y, Chen HL, Bannick N, Henry M, Holm AN, Metwali A, Urban JF, Weiner GJ, Rothman PB, Blazar BR, Elliott DE, Ince N. Intestinal helminthes protect mice from lethal acute graft-versus-host disease through the induction of regulatory T cells and in a TGFb dependent manner. J. Immunol 194:1011-20, 2015.
Osborn MJ, DeFeo AP, Webber BR, Starker CG, McElroy AN, Wagner JE, Joung JK, Voytas DF, Blazar BR*, Tolar J* (*equal contributors): Fanconi anemia gene editing by CRISPR-Cas9 system. Human Gene Therapy 26:114-26, 2015.
MacMillan ML, Robin M, Harris AC, DeFor TE, Martin PJ, Alousi A, Ho VT, Bolanos-Meade J, Ferrara JLM, Jones R, Arora M, Blazar BR, Holtan SG, Jacobsohn D, Pasquini M, Socie G, Antin JH, Levine JE, Weisdorf DJ. A refined risk score for acute GVHD thera predicts response to initial therapy, survival and transplant-related mortality. Biol Blood and Marrow Transplant (epub Jan 10), 2015.
Holtan SG, DeFor TE, Lazaryan A, Bejanyan N, Arora M, Brunstein CG, Blazar BR, MacMillan ML, Weisdorf DJ. Composite endpoint of graft–versus-host disease-free, relapse-free survival after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation. Blood 125:1333-8, 2015
Hoseini SS, Hapke M, Herbst J, Wedekind D, Kratz C, Baumann R, Heinz N, Schiedlmeier B, Vignali D, van den Brink MR, Schambach A, Blazar BR, Sauer MG. Timely controlled T cell receptor expression of genetically engineered precursor T cells requires early transgene induction for leukemia control after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Leukemia (epub Feb 5), 2015
Varelias A, Gartlan KH, Krejiveld E, Over SD, Lor M, Kuns RD, Lineburg KE, Teal BE, Raffelt NC, Cheong M, Alexander KA, Koyama M, Karkey KA, Sturgeon E, Leach J, Reddy P, Kennedy G, Yanik G, Blazar BR, Tey SK, Clouston A, MacDonald KPA, Cooke KR, Hill GR. Lung parenchyma-derived IL-6 mediates acute lung injury after stem cell transplantation. Blood 125: 2435-44, 2015 [Inside Blood Commentary. Teshima T. The primary of IL6 in IPS? Blood 125: 2320-2, 2015].
Holtan SG, Verneris MR, Schultz KR, Newell LF, Meyers G, He F, DeFor TE, Vercelotti GM, Slungaard A, MacMillan ML, Cooley SA, Blazar BR, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Weisdorf DJ. Circulating angiogenic factors associated with response and survival in patients with acute graft-versus-host disease: Results from BMT CTN 0302 and 0802. Biol Blood and Marrow Transplant (epub March 7), 2015
Multhaup MM, Podetz-Pederen KM, Karlen AD, Gunther R, Somia NV, Blazar BR, Cowan MJ, McIvor RS: Role of transgene regulation in ex vivo lentiviral correction of Artemis deficiency. Human Gene Therapy (epub March 4), 2015.
Pauken KE, Nelson CE, Martinov T, Spanier JA, Heffernan JR, Schenkel JM, Quarnstrom CF, Sahli NL, Osum KC, Jenkins MK, Blazar BR, Vezys V*, Fife BT*. Identification of autoreactive CD4 and CD8 T cell subsets resistant to PD-1 blockade. J. Immunology194:3551-6, 2015
Flynn R, Allen JL, Goodman K, Du J, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Taylor PA, Serody JS, Murphy WJ, Hill GR, MacDonald KP, Luznik L, Maillard I, Koreth J, Cutler CS, Soiffer RJ, Antin JH, Ritz J, Chao NJ, Clynes RA*, Sarantopoulos S*, Blazar BR*. (*equal co-authors). Targeting of Syk in B-cells during murine and human chronic graft-versus-host disease. Blood (epub April 6), 2015.
McDonald-Hyman C, Turka LA*, Blazar BR* (*co-last authors). Advances and Challenges in Immunotherapy for Solid Organ and Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Science Translational Medicine (review) 7: 280rv2 (pp1-14), 2015
Veenstra RG, Flynn R, Kreymborg K, McDonald-Hyman C, Saha A, Taylor PA, Osborn M, Panoskaltsis-Mortari A, Schmitt-Graeff A, Lieberknect E, Allison JP, Mak TW, van den Brink M*, Zeiser R*, Blazar BR*. B7-H3 expression in donor T cells and host non-hematopoietic cells negatively regulates graft-versus-host disease lethality. Blood (epub March 26), 2015.
Reichenbach DK*, Schwarze V*, Matta BM*, Tkachev V, Lieberknecht E, Koehn B, Taylor PA, Pfeifer D, Prinz G, Dierbach H, Stickel N, Beck Y, Warncke M, Junt T, Schmitt-Graeff A, Nakae S, Follo M, Wertheimer T, Schwab L, Duyster J, Ferrara JLM, Turnquist H*, Zeiser R*, Blazar BR*. (*equal first authors; equal last authors). The IL-33/ST2 axis differentially regulates Th1 responses and tolerogenic monocytes during acute graft-versus-host disease. Blood (epub March 26), 2015.
MacMillan ML, DeFor TE, Young JH, Dusenbery KE, Blazar BR, Slungaard A, Zierhut H, Weisdorf DE, Wagner JE. Alternative donor hematopoietic cell transplantation for Fanconi Anemia. Blood (epub April 2), 2015
Suessmuth Y, Koura DT, Finstemeier K, Finstermeier K, Desmarais C, Stempora L, Horan JT, Langston A, Qayed M, Khoury HJ, Grizzle A, Cheeseman A, Conger JA, Robertson J, Garrett A, Watkins B, Robins HS, Mukherjee R, Blazar BR, Kirk AD, Waller EK, Kirk AD, Mehta AK, Kean LS. CMV reactivation drives post-transplant T cell reconstitution and results in defects in the underlying TCR repertoire. Blood (epub April 6), 2015